I pinned this recipe from Delish (for the method, not the ingredients) when I first began my low carb journey and I kind of forgot all about it until I went to my moms house for dinner and she forgot I was low carb. I had to skip out on dinner that night and I was really upset about it. Haha! Never again.
She sent me home with a mason jar of enchilada sauce and I decided to experiment a little and see if this would be a good substitute and I was pleasantly surprised.
Low Carb Enchiladas (Zucchini Wrapped)
Easy zucchini wrapped enchiladas made with an authentic Mexican enchilada sauce, thats an old family recipe, passed down to me from my mother.
- 1 lb. cooked and shredded chicken or any desired meat or filling.
- 4 medium zucchinis
- 8 oz shredded cheese for topping (I use monterrey jack or cheddar)
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 dried “California” chile pods (my mom uses this brand)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 white onion
- 2 tbsp dried Mexican oregano
- Preheat oven to 350
- Use a peeler or mandolin slicer to make “zucchini ribbons”. Set aside.
- Add chicken broth, chiles, garlic, oregano, and white onion to a blender. Blend on high or “liquefy” for 5 minutes. Yes, 5 minutes straight. Or, you can also blend for 1 minute, then use a fine mesh strainer and a spatula to force the liquid through quickly. It should be bright reddish-orange in color when done and completely smooth.
- Begin assembling the enchiladas: Lay out 3 slices of zucchini ribbons. slightly overlapping, and top with shredded chicken or desired filling. Transfer to a greased casserole dish (2 1/2 quart or larger) one by one as you go. See this video for a quick tutorial.
- Top with shredded cheese. I use monterrey jack or cheddar, my mom uses queso fresco.
- Bake until cheese has melted and enchiladas are heated through, about 15-20 minutes
- Top with cilantro and serve immediately.