Daikon radish is kind of the underdog of all potato substitutes in the keto world. It definitely does not get enough credit and I think that may have to do with it not being as readily available as cauliflower or red radish.
A little bit about daikon radish: It is native to Southeast Asia. Daikon can grow up to 20 inches long with a diameter of 4 inches! It has a very mild taste and tends to take on the flavor of whatever you choose to season it with. There are a long list of health benefits to this radish and I encourage to research those when you have some time. My favorite thing to do is read the benefits as I’m eating them. It just makes me feel really healthy and wise. Haha!
The first time I used daikon was in zuppa toscana. It soaks up all the bacon and onion flavor and does an amazing job of taking potatoes place!
I tried making hash browns with it but was not a fan because they were very crunchy. It was then that I learned that this root vegetable needs to be boiled first to make it tender. But just think of all the ketofied potato dish possibilities! This was honestly at the very top for me!
This is an 2.0 version of my scalloped fauxtatoes. Before the recipe asked for boiling the daikon radish in water but I figured out that it tastes a lot better boiled in chicken broth. It really helped subside the sharpness from the radish, I feel. I also used all sharp cheddar cheese this time. It just gave it a more classic American taste, which is probably what you’re looking for when making these.
This recipe is almost fool proof and perfect to help anyone stay keto compliant for the upcoming holidays!
Creamy, cheesy and delicious and simple, with a low carb count, thanks to daikon raddish subbing in for potatoes.
- 1 lb daikon radish, thinly sliced. I used a mandolin slicer but it’s not 100% necessary.
- 2 qt chicken broth (64 fl oz)
- 1 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large pot, boil sliced daikon in 2 quarts of chicken broth. Boil for 8-10 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter, add almond flour and whisk for 30 seconds. Add heavy cream and bring to a boil, then quickly lower heat to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in 1 cup cheddar cheese until smooth and melted. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- In a greased 8×8 casserole dish place half of the sliced radish in one layer. Pour half the cheese sauce over the radish, top with half of remaining cheddar. Repeat with remaining radish and cheese sauce.
- Top with cheddar cheese on sprinkle light dusting of paprika.
- Bake for 15-20 mins until top is golden and bubbly.