This churro cupcake is topped with a standard keto cream cheese frosting but you will never ever guess whats sprinkled on top! Pork rind breadcrumbs! YES, PORK RINDS ON A CUPCAKE. Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it. It really gives it that subtle crunch like real churro dust would. It’s perfect!
I gave my friend one, just now, who’s a total foodie (not on keto) and he said it was delicious and reminded him of carrot cake (probably because of the cream cheese frosting) When I told him the churro dust made of pork rinds he didn’t believe me at all!
This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission from purchases made through them, at no additional cost to you, which helps keep this content free.
Grain Free, Low Carb, Churro Cupcakes
A moist cinnamon cupcake iced with cream cheese frosting and topped with a sugar free cinnamon churro dust
- 2 egg yolks + 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened (I use this one)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups Almond Flour Blanched (2lb) by Anthony’s, Batch Tested Gluten-Free“>almond flour
- 1/3 cup granulated erythritol
- 2 tbsp molasses (Optional. Does contain sugar)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Cream Cheese Frosting
Churro Crumb Topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl and then combine with butter, sour cream and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl combine almond flour, erythritol, molasses, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Stir ingredients and then combine with the wet ingredients. Mix ingredients for about one minute, or until smooth.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners and bake for 12-17 minutes, or until a tooth pick comes clean. Do not over bake!
- While cupcakes cool combine all frosting ingredients in a stand mixer and beat until smooth using a paddle attachment, if you don’t have a stand mixer a a hand mixer should work fine.
- Spread icing onto cooled cupcakes.
- Whisk together all churro crumb ingredients and dust iced cupcakes with churro crumb topping.