Cheesiest Low Carb Mac and Cheese
Literally the best mac and cheese I have ever had. I guarantee no one will be able to tell it's low carb!
1 bag The Great Low Carb Elbow Macaroni Pasta
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup blanched almond flour (I like this brand)
1 cup heavy cream
Himalayan salt, to taste (I like this brand)
1/2 tspn fresh ground black pepper
2/3 cup monterrey jack cheese, shredded
1 and 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese slices
Optional Crumb Topping
2/3 cup Pork Rind Bread Crumbs (I love this brand)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 2qt casserole dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- In a large pot add elbow macaroni to salted and oiled, boiling water. Boil for 1o minutes stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Drain and return to pot.
- In a sauce pan, melt 1/4 cup butter. Once hot whisk in almond flour. Cook for 1 minute, whisking until bubbly.
- Slowly stir in heavy cream. Continue to stir until sauce has thickened. Add salt and pepper and stir 1 minute more.
- Remove saucepan from heat and quickly stir in shredded jack and cheddar cheese. Continue to whisk until cheese is completely melted. It should be super thick!
- Pour and gently stir the cheese sauce into macaroni until completely combined.
- Pour half of the mac and cheese into prepared casserole dish.
- Add the cheese slices on top. I know it’s a lot of cheese. Just trust me!
- Pour other half of the mac and cheese on top and spread.
- Sprinkle pork rind “breadcrumbs” on top of mac and cheese.
- Bake covered in foil for 20 minutes at 350. Remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes. The top should be golden brown and the edges should be bubbling gently.
Recipe Notes: The pasta recommended is low carb (7g net), however it does include wheat and wheat gluten. Something you may want to avoid if you are sensitive to those ingredients or suffer from celiac.