This is a copycat recipe of a salsa that they have at my favorite little diner called “A’s Burgers” in San Juan Capistrano. I always joke around that I have this salsa with a side of burrito (their breakfast burritos used to be my jam before I started practicing keto). With the help of my beautiful mama I was finally able to dupe this recipe. Best of all it’s totally quick and easy!
Salsa Roja de Chile Arbol
A medium spicy, red, Mexican salsa made with chiles de arbol.
- 12 dried “chiles de arbol” (stems removed)
- 1 14.5oz can of diced “fire roasted tomatoes”
- 2 tspn dried Mexican oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup water, depending on preference of viscocity
- salt to taste
- With skin still on garlic cloves toast them on a skillet over medium low heat till the skins are light golden. Remove skins when cooled.
- Add peppers, tomatoes, oregano and garlic cloves to blender or food processor. Start by adding a 1/4 cup of water. Blend. If you’d like the salsa runnier add another 1/4 cup.
- Blend till all ingredients are broken down and combined (no longer than 1 minute or so). Add salt to taste and blend again for another 10 seconds.